Protocol: Direct ELISA with streptavidin-biotin detection
This method provides a general procedure for use with the majority of AbD Serotec reagents. In some cases specific recommendations are provided on product datasheets, and these methods should always be used in conjunction with product and batch specific information provided with each vial. Please note that a certain level of technical skill and immunological knowledge is required for the successful design and implementation of these techniques - these are guidelines only and may need to be adjusted for particular applications.
For an alternative coating buffer use BUF030
2. Blocking buffer
Phosphate Buffered Saline (PBS) containing 1% w/v BSA
For an alternative wash buffer use BUF031
- Coat microtiter plate wells with 100 µl of the appropriate coating antigen, at a concentration of between 1-10 µg/ml in coating buffer. Cover the plate and incubate overnight at 4°C. Wash the plate 3 times in wash buffer.
- Add 150 µl of blocking solution to each well. Incubate for 60 minutes at 37°C. Wash 4 times in wash buffer.
NB: For most AbD Serotec antibodies this step can be omitted without having any deleterious effects on the results obtained.
- Add 100 µl of suitably diluted samples to the relevant wells. Ensure that appropriately diluted standards are included (dilute samples and standards in wash buffer). Samples or standards should preferably be run in triplicate. Incubate for 90 minutes at 37°C or overnight at 4°C. Wash 3 times in wash buffer.
- Add 100 µl of biotin-conjugated detection antibody (appropriately diluted in wash buffer) to each well. Incubate for 1 hour at 37°C. Wash 3 times in wash buffer.
- Add 100 µl of enzyme-conjugated streptavidin (appropriately diluted in wash buffer) to each well. Incubate for 60 minutes at 37°C. Wash 3 times in wash buffer.
- Add 100 µl of the appropriate substrate solution1 to each well. Incubate at room temperature (and in the dark if required) for 30 minutes, or until desired color change is attained.
- Read absorbance values immediately at the appropriate wavelength.
- OR add 50 µl of “stop solution”. Gently tap plate to ensure thorough mixing. Measure absorbance within 30 minutes.